2016 Offshore West Africa Youth Empowerment Programme and Awards
The Energy Institute, Lonadek and Offshore West Africa are pleased to present the Offshore West Africa Youth Empowerment Programme which is scheduled to take place on the 26-28 January 2016 at the Eko Hotels & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. The event is for a maximum of 300 youths. All undergraduate students from African offshore hydrocarbon producing countries (Ghana, Nigeria, Angola etc) in attendance would qualify for a free one year membership of the Energy Institute (EI), courtesy of the EI.
Conceptualized by Lonadek in collaboration with the Energy Institute Nigeria and UK, the Offshore West Africa Youth Empowerment Programme is owned by Offshore West Africa/PennWell and is designed to provide learning and development opportunities to both students and young professionals who want to establish, develop and build their careers in Oil and Gas. The youth empowerment platform was developed as part of efforts towards building and developing local capacity, capability and competence of youths and young professionals.
The programme launched in 2015, with the inaugural Offshore West Africa Youth Empowerment programme attracting more than 100 delegates, and following on from the success the programme has been significantly expanded in 2016 to host 300 students and young professionals from across West Africa.
The economic bedrock of any country is the active youth population and early age labor force (young professionals). Youth empowerment is a holistic means of education, enlightenment, empowerment and engagement.
Careers in the energy industry is fast changing due to the variable energy source types, rapid technological advancement, fast-changing consumer needs and continuously adapting work environments. Organisations are paying more attention to skills and competencies that are required to optimize and utilize natural resources for energy and power. Emphasis is being laid more on learning and development with continuous professional development being viewed as a major success driver in human capital development.
- Interested students and young professionals are enjoined to indicate interests to attend the programme by registering on http://www.lonadek.com/owa/.
- Separate entry forms exist for students and young professionals.
- Upon registration, applicants will be assigned unique application numbers.
- Successful applicants would be notified before the event and then assigned registration numbers which will give them access to the programme.
- The students are classified into HND, B.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD while the young professionals are categorized as National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members, unemployed graduates and employed graduates.
- Applicants are required to supply their name, position/job title, university name/company name, street address or P.O. Box, city, country, phone number, fax (if available) and email address during registration.
OffShore West Africa Youth Empowerment Programme Award 2016
- Interested candidates for the OWA SPA are required to submit a one-page abstract of no more than 500 words on any topic of interest in the Oil and Gas industry vis-a-vis the theme of the 2016 OWA conference : Positioning for a Sustainable Future.
- Candidates are encouraged to submit their abstracts via mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on/before January 15, 2016.
- After the deadline, the submitted abstracts will be subjected to a fair evaluation and assessment process by Lonadek using standard technical write up evaluation criteria.
- One (1) winner would emerge after screening and the winner’s details will be revealed during the 2016 OWA YEP.
- The SPA awardee would receive a complimentary pass to attend the 2017 OWA as a delegate.
- The awardee would be prominently featured in the 2017 OWA YEP event guide. Optional mentoring and coaching would be provided.
- Award plaques would also be presented to the awardee as a mark of recognition and motivation to fellow students.
- The OWA YPA is designed to recognize and reward excellence, commitment and dedication of the young professionals.
- The award will reward active participants with robust continuous professional development activities in relation to their personal and professional development such as:
- Documented self-development through private studies and research
- Involvement in professional groups and committees
- Official secondments and engagements on special projects
- Work-based activities including on the job learning and development.
- The winner would receive a complimentary pass to attend the 2017 OWA as a delegate.
- Award plaques would also be presented to the awardee as a mark of recognition and motivation to fellow colleagues
- All participating undergraduate students from Ghana and Nigeria will undergo the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program and also receive complimentary membership of the Energy Institute through its Young Professionals Network.
The Youth Empowerment Programme a key CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) initiative of PennWell, is an integral part of the Offshore West Africa 2016 schedule and is available for a maximum of 300 youths/students. Interested students and young professionals are therefore invited to indicate their interest in either category of award.
How to Apply
Submission Deadline: January 15, 2016