The LAF Fellowship for Innovation and Leadership was established to foster transformational leadership capacity and support innovation to advance the field of landscape architecture. The $25,000 fellowship is an opportunity for mid-career or senior-level professionals to dedicate the equivalent of 3 months’ time over the course of one year to nurture emerging ideas and to think deeply. It is designed as a time to reflect, research, explore, create, test, and develop ideas into action.
Each year, 3-5 fellowships are awarded through a competitive application process based on a proposed project. Selected Fellows receive a $25,000 financial award and participate in three 2.5-day residencies over the course of a year, as well as monthly conference calls. Selected projects must demonstrate the potential to bring about impactful change to the environment and humanity and have the capacity to grow the leadership potential of landscape architects.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in landscape architecture. For those with degrees from colleges/universities in the U.S. and Canada, the landscape architecture program must be LAAB- or LAAC-accredited. For those outside of the U.S. and Canada, in locations where landscape architecture is not a recognized degree or profession, a degree in a related discipline is acceptable, provided that the applicant works as a landscape architect. (See Application Materials for required documentation.)
- Applicants must have a minimum of 6 years of professional experience in landscape architecture by the December 1 application deadline. This experience can include all types of practice — private, public, academic, non-profit, service, multi-disciplinary, and other.
- Applicants must be able to communicate in written and spoken English at an advanced/professional level and provide evidence of proficiency.
- Applicants must be able to dedicate time to the fellowship and proposed project. They will be required to obtain a letter of support from their employers for time-off from their regular employment.
- Current LAF staff and members of the LAF Board of Directors are not eligible. Former staff and former members of the LAF Board of Directors who meet the above requirements are eligible.
- Teams may apply for the Fellowship, provided that a Team Lead is identified in the application and meets the above requirements. There are no restrictions on the size of the team. If selected, the team will share the $25,000 award and the Team Lead will be required to attend the three residencies.
Each year, LAF will award 3-5 Fellowships, based upon the merit of the applicant pool and available funding.
- Each selected Fellow will receive one $25,000 award*
- The award will be paid out in (3) three payments of $8,333.33 upon successful completion of each Residency. Attendance at residencies is mandatory for payment of funds. (See Fellowship Structure)
- LAF will also provide travel and lodging stipends for the Fellow to attend the three residencies.*
- LAF only accepts Fellowship applications through its online application platform, SlideRoom. The deadline to submit all application materials, including reference letters, is December 1, 2017.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, kindly visit the link below: