The Africa No Filter Comedy Lab seeks talented African comedians to create unfiltered content about Africa. We’re looking for entertaining, one-of-a-kind content that actually changes how the rest of the world perceives your community, country, or continent.
Comedians who join the ANF Comedy Lab will receive up to $3,000 in grants to create new 10-minute skits. Comedians will also be helped to advance their storytelling skills through masterclasses and mentorship. They’ll also get marketing help to promote their skits.
The ANF Comedy Lab will also have a digital showcase for its skits.
To get a chance at this opportunity, you need to create one comedy skit that’s between 45 seconds and one minute long and post it on your Facebook page, Instagram or Tik Tok. You must tag @Africanofilter and use the hashtags #ANFComedyLab and #BetterRepresentation.
The skit should carry a powerful storyline that positively portrays an African country or Africa or challenge pre-existing African stereotypical narratives in a funny, ground-breaking and engaging way.
After creating your skit, you must submit an online application on ANF’s website. Make sure you include links to your skits. The content can be delivered in English or French.
Winners will be selected on the quality of content, comedic delivery, relevance to ANF’s mission of telling African stories beyond stereotypes, and audience engagement across social media.
- Open to African comedians aged over 18 and based anywhere on the continent.
- Comedians must have a combined audience of minimum 3,000 followers on Instagram, their Facebook page and TikTok.
- Only individual comedians can apply.
- The comedian must be unsigned (not represented by an agent or management company).
- All forms of comedy are welcomed (stand-up, music, sketch, etc.) as long as they are delivered in a digital format and are completely original, innovative and exciting.
How To Apply
Competition deadline is June 5 2023
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!