The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) is a Multilateral Financial Institution established for the purposes of financing and promoting intra and extra African trade. The shareholders comprise African governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African private and institutional investors.
The Bank is headquartered in Cairo, Egypt and currently operates branches in Harare, Zimbabwe (opened in November 1996); in Abuja, Nigeria (opened in January 2003); in Abidjan, Ivory Coast (opened in 2015) and Nairobi, Kenya (in 2015). More details can be found on our website www.afreximbank.com
By offering good students a chance for an internship with the Bank, it is expected that they will leave with a better knowledge of the Bank’s mandate and operating model, which they will put to use as they develop their careers, no doubt with direct benefits to the Bank and generally, to trade in Africa
The programme is open to students who are :
- Students with proven enrollment in full time undergraduate or post graduate study programmes in a recognised institution of learning in the year of the internship are preferred. The Bank will be especially interested in candidates whose field of study is in the following fields: economics, business administration, finance, accounting, social sciences, statistics, law or related fields;
- Nationals of the Bank’s member states;
- Fluency in English or French and a working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of Arabic or Portuguese will be an added advantage; and
- Candidates must be aged between 20 and 32 in the year in which they apply for the internship;
- Any other applicants as may be approved by the President;
- Children of Afreximbank staff are not eligible to participate in this programme.
The internships are offered for up to a maximum of six months twice a year (June and December). Applications for internship are received throughout the year.
The Bank is only able to take two candidates in each season, making a total of four interns per year, unless specifically approved by the President. Only successful candidates are contacted.
Applicants are required to complete an online internship application form along with the following:
- Letter of application;
- copy of their current CV;
- copy of valid passport ;
- certified copies of relevant academic certificates;
- recommendation for internship from the institution of learning that they are attending. This should include the proposed period of internship up to a maximum of six months;
- Short Statement of Intent (maximum of 1 A4 page) indicating what they expect to gain out of the internship programme;