The Innovation Prize For Africa IPA is an initiative of the African Innovation Foundation (AIF) started in 2011. IPA honors and encourages innovative achievements that contribute toward developing new products, increasing efficiency or saving cost in Africa. Specifically, the award targets technological breakthroughs in 5 main areas: manufacturing & service industry, health & well-being, agriculture & agribusiness, environment, energy & water and ICTs. To date, there have been four (4) rounds of competition.
The IPA is focused on:
- Mobilizing leaders from all sectors to fuel African innovation ecosystem
- Promoting innovation across Africa in key sectors through the competition
- Promoting science, technology and engineering as a rewarding career path among African youth.
- Encouraging entrepreneurs, innovators, funding bodies and business development service providers to exchange ideas and explore innovative business opportunities.
By providing USD 150,000 to winners who deliver market-oriented solutions for African-led development, the IPA acknowledges and encourages the endeavor of innovators and entrepreneurs and works to raise their profiles on the development agenda. The IPA 2016 consists of three (3) cash prizes and various additional supports:
- USD 100,000 for the winner with the best innovation based on marketability, originality, scalability, social impact, scientific/technical aspects and clear business potentials;
- USD 25,000 for the Second Prize with the best commercial/business potential;
- USD 25,000 for the Special Prize for Social Impact Innovation which awards the innovation with the highest social impact in the community/country.
- Up to USD 5,000 in kind support for the 10 nominees in post-prize technical support to assist in moving the innovation to the next step.
- A USD 5,000 voucher will be given to each nominee to be used in post-prize technical support to assist in moving the innovation to the next step. The nominees also benefit from the AIF-IPA brand, receive ongoing local, regional and international media coverage, and support and training opportunities can be mobilized for the nominees.
Additional support to women, youth etc
- Support for women: After the awards ceremony, AIF will through an internal process select 10 best innovations submitted by women innovators and will work with each one of them to mobilize support which will help move her innovation forward
- Support for 10 young innovators under 26: After the awards ceremony, AIF will through an internal process select 10 best innovations submitted by young innovators under 26 and will work with each one of them to mobilize support which will help move his/her innovation forward
- Design “Do-Tank” workshop/support: Each year, AIF will select at least 5 innovations which can be enhanced by design and will invite them to the workshop where they will get help from experts to help improve the design and make their product more marketable.
Deadline for Application: 30th Oct 2015