Are you between the ages of 18 & 40? Do you have a revolutionary idea in Education, Science & Technology, Agricultural/Agribusiness, Healthcare and Energy? How about a solution that can improve the lives of millions of people on the African continent?
On April 9th, 2016, The African Innovations Award (AIA) will host its first –ever African Innovations award gala night during the 2nd Annual TEDxAccra event in Accra, Ghana.
This innovative competition will explore cutting-edge ideas, tools, information and technologies that can help to improve the lives of people on our continent.
The African Innovations Award seeks to promote novelty amongst African businesses and individuals by inspiring the next generation to be distinct and establish outstanding businesses that can compete globally.
The African Innovations Award identifies and rewards Africa’s innovative thinkers between the ages of 18 – 40 in the Science &Technology, Healthcare, Education, Energy and Agriculture sector.
The winning innovations are determined based on the products’ uniqueness and their potential contribution to socio-economic development in Africa through increased efficiency and cost savings.
Seven criteria to be considered:
1. Originality: The uniqueness of the product and its superiority in comparison with
similar or alternative products in the market;
2. Marketability: The extent to which the innovation sufficiently addresses the problem
it seeks to solve at a price or model that is accessible to the target market;
3. Scalability: The extent to which the solution can be easily applied to other similar markets beyond the applicant’s immediate or local environment;
4. Social impact: The ability of the innovation to create or effect positive or desirable changes within the target community and beyond;
5. Scientific/Technical aspects: For tangible technical/scientific products; this refers to
extent to which the technical specifications of the innovation are grounded on established science and sufficiently address any anticipated product risks.
6. Gender and disability: How far various innovations went in properly integrating
gender and disability perspectives to their projects. This has become a critical part of
any futuristic innovation
7. Sustainable Development: Every innovation will also be assessed on how environmentally friendly their product or service is and how well the whole project
supports the course of sustainable development.
1. All five winners, in each category will receive $5000 each and other prizes from the sponsors.
2. 1 YEAR DEVELOPMENT ENTREPRENERIAL MODULE TRAINING FOR ALL THE 15 FINALISTS OF THE AFRICAN INNOVATIONS AWARD.
1. The African Innovations Award submission process will run from Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 to Monday November 30th , 2015.
2. Selection partners will choose 15 innovative ideas, 3 from each category to contest for the award during the 15minutes presentation to our panel of judges at the African Innovations Demonstration Talk during the week of TEDxAccra 2016.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, Click here to apply
Application Deadline: November 30 2015
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!