The Social Sector Management (SSM) programme is a Transformational Leadership Programme by the Africa-America Institute (AAI) designed to upscale the capacity of social entrepreneurs and overall sustainability of social enterprises to enable them add more value to the society.
SSM is a capacity building programme delivered using the blended learning approach. Participants will learn using case studies, on-line chats, activities and site visits.
Participants will learn the following modules
- DEFINING AND MARKETING YOUR VISIONThis module helps participants understand the importance of developing a vision and mission statement and the need for the employees’ combined effort in achieving its goal and exposed participants to strategies for marketing their vision and mission statement.
- REGULATORY, LEGAL AND TAXThis module is designed to introduce participants to legal, tax and other regulatory issues in establishing and managing a social enterprise.
- PROPOSAL WRITINGOne of the challenges facing social entrepreneurs and those engaged in managing NGO’s is the issue of writing proposals, often times people try to describe their project document as a proposal. In this module participants learn how to write proposals within the limits of their organization capabilities and competencies.
- MANAGING PROJECTSAs Non-profit organization, project management is crucial as it involves budget and project implementation. This module helps participants to see the need to plan, gather information assign and set targets within the limits of their budget.
- STRATEGIES FOR GROWTHThis module is designed to generate interest in and commitment to the strategic planning process of the organization. The case study approach is brought to play in this module and it helps participants understand the best approach to developing a suitable strategy.
- LEADERSHIPThis module is designed to enhance the capacities of social entrepreneurs to be effective in leadership roles, equip them with practical leadership skills and help them identify areas where they need to change to enable them become better leaders.
- FINANCING IMPACT: INVESTMENT READINESS FOR SOCIAL ENTERPRISEParticipants are introduced to tools that will help in soliciting for contributions (funds or other resources) needed to carry out their project by requesting for donations from individuals, corporations or governmental agencies.
- MANAGING MONEYThis module has been designed to help participants develop usable financial recording systems for their organizations and how they can manage these systems effectively to ensure sustainability.
- BUSINESS PLANThis module helps the social entrepreneur to develop not just a business plan but unfold the necessary process to be undertaken for a successful implementation.
- BUILDING CREDIBILITYThis module helps organizations and employees to build and become credible when they demonstrate sound management practices and provide quality service to the community and people they offer service.
- 20days spread across 4 months (10days in class & 10days online)
To be Eligible for this scholarship applicants must be
- A Not-for-Profit/ Non-Governmental Organisation
- A social entrepreneur operating in the Health, Education, Environment or Entrepreneurial development
How to Apply