The Orators is Nigeria’s Premier Public Speaking Contest. The program is designed to build the oratory, leadership and innovation skills of young leaders between the ages of 18 – 25.
The Orators Program is an intensive, in-depth public speaking contest. The program conducts a thorough examination of oratory and leadership skills, which begins online, prior to the on-site contest.
The purpose of this contest is help young people develop their:
- Oral Communication Skills.
- Leadership Skills.
- Innovation Skills.
- Must be a Nigerian citizen.
- Must be aged 18 at the time of application and not older than 25.
- Must be currently enrolled in a University or college education or have graduated from a University/College.
- Must be WILLING and ABLE to attend the “The Orators Academy” in the chosen location.
- Must ADHERE to all Terms and Conditions of the Program.
- Cash Prize up to #300K.
- Become a professional speaker.
Competition Process & Timeline
- Application – 11th – 24th of June 2021
- Review & Selection – 27th of June 2021
- Audition – 2nd – 3rd of July 2021
- Finalist Selection – 5th of July 2021
- Online Bootcamp – 6th – 8th of July 2021
- Grand Finale Event – 17th of July 2021
Selection & Review
Our team of expert judges will review applications and successful candidates will be notified on the 27th of June 2021.
- Auditions will take place online between the 2nd – 3rd of July 2021.
- Successful candidates will be invited via email to an online audition.
- Successful candidates will be required to pay a #5,000 audition fee to participate in auditions.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, following due protocols, all auditions will be streamed online via Zoom.
- 12 Successful Orators will be selected and invited to participate in the Orators Program.
- Successful candidates will be invited to submit a 1-page growth plan for the Orators Academy (a template will be provided), and a 90-seconds video on the topic “Resilience: The Lifeline of Champions”.
- Requires 100% full participation (at Lagos) for all successfully selected Orators.
The program begins with a 3-day online Oratory Academy, (6th – 8th of July 2021) where Orators will be trained on a range of topics related to public speaking, leadership, innovation, and personal development.
(Short video after training to be submitted on or before 9th of July 2021)
Afterward, the top 12 Orators will compete for the title “The 2021 Orator of The Year”, between (10th – 12th of July 2021). Each Orator will deliver two (2) speeches per day.
At the end of this stage, four (4) Orators will be knocked out. Eight (8) orators, will be competing at the Grand Finale.
- The Grand Finale scheduled for the 17th of July 2021, will take place live in person at Lagos.
- Eight (8) Orators will deliver two (2) speeches each. The finals will have two sessions: A debate contest and a solo speech contest.
- The panel of judges will decide which Orator will be awarded “The 2021 Orator of the Year”.
- The competition will be aired live to an online audience to watch the speech.
1. Be coachable
3. Clarity of thought
5. Excellent presentation
Trainers and Judges
- Dr. Benjamin Wayo, the World’s Number one (1) Champion, 2021 Speaker Slam, and Africa’s Number one (1) Champion of Public Speaking.
- Mene Blessing, Co-founder of Inspire Africa and social entrepreneur. Blessing has won multiple pitch awards internationally.
- Titi Ojo, Distinguished Toastmaster, Humphrey Fellow, and Lead, The Idea Factory & Consultant to DFID, USAID, & 2SCALE.
- Chinedu Chidi, Managing Director Law TV, Investigative Journalist, Writer, and Winner, The Debaters Reality TV Show.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, kindly follow the link below to apply
Click here to apply for The Orators Competition