You, the entrepreneur, must meet the following criteria as you submit your business proposal:
- You must be a citizen of an African country.
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old as of October 1, 2017.
- Your business must be applicable in an African country.
- Your business proposal must include a technological component (digital, machinery, computers, ICT, automated processes, field related technologies, etc.).
- Your business must be for profit.
- Your business idea must include a social impact. You need to articulate the problem that you are trying to solve as well as the solution that you propose to offer.
- Your business must be relevant to one of these categories:
- Education – positively impact education in Africa
- Environment – positively impact the environment in Africa
- Uncharted – a high-impact business venturing into unexplored territory or untested markets
Additional Eligibility Information
- You can submit a proposal as a resident of any country worldwide – keeping in mind that you must be a citizen of an African country.
- For example, a resident of the United Arab Emirates with Egyptian citizenship is eligible for this Award.
- Your business can operate in any African country even if you are not a citizen of that country.
- For example, a Ghanaian citizen can submit a proposal for a business in Liberia.
- You can submit a proposal for a business already in operation.
- Your business can operate across borders in multiple African countries.
- Your business should demonstrate the potential to scale beyond one region in Africa to pan-African impact.
- You can operate in multiple countries, but you will be asked to designate a primary community in Africa that will benefit or be impacted by your business.
You can submit a business proposal in one or two of the three Award
categories: Education, Environment, or Uncharted
Education is essential to equip Africans in the 21st century. As 11 million young Africans enter the job market every year, we are looking for business ideas that will impact education with the potential to scale across Africa.
The Environment is critical to ensure Africa works together in all sectors to promote innovations that will protect the livelihood of current and future generations. As 11.3 million hectares of land are ravaged every year by poor agricultural systems, over-grazing, and deforestation, we are looking for business ideas that will impact the environment with the potential to scale across Africa.
Uncharted means unexplored, not yet attempted. What is so difficult to do in your community that no one has tried before? Like explorers and inventors throughout history, what will propel Africa into a stronger position in the 21st century? We are looking for business ideas that boldly go where no one has gone before in Africa.
For More Information:
Apply here- African Entrepreneurship Award 2017