One of CERN’s key missions is education. Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field. There’s no better way to learn than on-the-job. And when that job happens to be in a world-famous research organisation and centre of scientific excellence, it’s even better.
Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree and have a strong IT profile? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – August)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN openlab Summer Student Programme 2023
During two full months corresponding to 9 weeks (June-August 2023), CERN openlab summer students will work on an advanced IT project and will be given a series of IT lectures specially prepared for them by experts at CERN and other institutes. The students also have the opportunity to attend the main CERN Summer student programme lectures, if they wish. Visits to the accelerators and experimental areas are part of the programme, as well as visits to external companies, pandemic allowing. A short report and a presentation on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by summer 2023, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2023 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure there is no protection so that we can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2.
How to Apply
the application deadline (Monday 30th January 2023 12 noon CET time).