The Grinnell College Innovator for Social Justice Prize, or the Grinnell Prize, directly reflects Grinnell’s historic mission to educate men and women “who are prepared in life and work to use their knowledge and their abilities to serve the common good.”
Grinnell was founded in 1846 by a group of transplanted New Englanders with strong Congregational beliefs who were dedicated to social reform. They organized as the Trustees of Iowa College — originally in Davenport, Iowa. In 1859 the trustees moved the College to newly settled Grinnell, Iowa, where their abolitionist sentiments were more welcome. At the time, Grinnell was an important stop on the Underground Railroad that secretly transported slaves to freedom.
Do you know somebody who is:
- A change-maker working on the cutting edge of social innovation?
- A leader collaborating and co-creating solutions to pressing social justice issues?
- A visionary tackling immediate challenges while also addressing related systemic issues?
- A mentor inspiring the next generation of social innovators?
The Grinnell Prize seeks to honor individuals who demonstrate a critical, multifaceted, and nuanced understanding of the issue they are addressing.
When considering demonstration of depth of understanding and critical assessment of the need, a nominator might consider the following questions:
- Is the nominee demonstrating a complex or deeply nuanced understanding of the issue they are addressing, including past or current unequal distributions of power, or oppression of a group that has created or continues to perpetuate injustice?
- Does the nominee’s work center on a specific demographic group or region that is most in need of social justice or most affected by this type of oppression?
- Does the nominee see the social justice need as caused by barriers to resources or concerns that can be addressed, rather than as a product of community deficiencies?
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, kindly follow the link to learn more and apply
Click here to learn more and apply for the Grinnell College Innovator in Social Justice Prize
Application Deadline: October 31, 2021.