Applications are invited from all African social entrepreneurs and purpose-driven enterprises with digital healthcare solutions and a measurable social impact for the Award in Innovations.
The Austrian Federal Chancellery together with well-renowned partner organizations, is looking to support innovative and digital healthcare solutions across the length and breadth of Africa and boost their impact through the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa.
The Kofi Annan Award for Africa is organized by the Austrian Federal Chancellery, together with the Kofi Annan Foundation and the operational support of the World Food Programme Innovation Accelerator and the Austrian Development Agency.
About the Kofi Annan Award Program
African social entrepreneurs and purpose-driven businesses with a measurable social effect and a long-term business model are eligible to apply. The Sustainable Development Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being will be the subject of the Award. Nine applicant teams will be chosen to continue developing their concepts through a 5-day intensive Innovation Bootcamp and then pitch their proposals to a high-level jury. Successful candidates will have access to the Kofi Annan Award for Africa Support Network, which is a community of passionate and engaged mentors, investors, consultants, corporate partners, and industry experts who all have one goal in mind: to help social entrepreneurs gain access to the resources they need to succeed.
The Austrian Development Agency will award three (3) teams each a grant of 250,000 EUR.
Finalists will be recognized and exposed on a global scale.
A total of nine social entrepreneurs will be selected to participate in the WFP Innovation Bootcamp, which will be conducted entirely online.
Teams will have access to an entrepreneur ecosystem and will be able to tap into a vast network of mentors.
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible for the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation, applicants must:
- Be an African social entrepreneur or be involved in purpose-driven enterprises.
- Be involved in innovative and digital healthcare solutions across Africa.
- Your company must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for at least two years at the time of application.
- Your solution is anchored in at least one African country.
- The applicant must have existing contacts / presence in the country of implementation: country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations or partnerships in the country.
- Your innovation clearly addresses one or more areas of SDG 3 Target Indicator 8.
- The entity does not fall under any of the points listed in the solemn declaration.
- Your innovation has more than 1 million people of total addressable market.
- Your startup pays attention to environmental protection and climate change, gender equality and women empowerment, as well as social inclusion (leave no one behind).
- Your startup is not required to make a monetary contribution to the proposed project budget.
- Your innovation should have a strong proof-of-concept with initial traction and a clear path to scale.
Application will be evaluated in equal weight according to the following criteria:
- Impact & Scalability
- Business Model
Deadline for application is December 1 2021 and you are to apply and submit your form online.
Visit The award website for more details