1. Applications are invited from eligible Nigerians for commission into the Nigerian Army (NA) as Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) officers. The DSSC is open to both civilians and serving military personnel. However, only serving military personnel sponsored by any of the Services of the Nigerian Armed Forces to civil institutions shall be considered.
CORPS AND SERVICES
2. Applications should be into any of the following Corps and Services of the NA:
a. Nigerian Army Corps of Supply and Transport. Applicants must possess a minimum of Bsc (Second Class Lower) degree or HND (Lower Credit) in Hotel and Catering Management.
b. Nigerian Army Medical Corps.
(1) General Duty Medical/Dental Officers. Applicants must possess MBBS/BDS or equivalent with not more than 5 years post qualification experience and must be fully registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
(2) General Pharmacists. Applicants must possess B Pharm and must be registered with PCN.
(3) Dental Technologists and Dental Therapists. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree or HND (Lower Credit) in Dental Technology and Dental Therapy and must be registered with relevant professional bodies.
(4) General Nurses and Midwives. Applicants must possess RN/M or minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree in Nursing with full registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
(5) Epidemiologist/Health Statistics. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree in either Medical Statistics or Epidemiology.
(6) Mental Health and Psychology. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree in either Mental Health or Clinical Psychology.
(7) Human Nutritionist. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree in Nutrition.
(8) Medical Imaging Scientist/Radiographers. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree in Imaging Science or Radiography.
(9) Medical Laboratory Scientists. Applicants must possess a Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS)/AIMLS/AIMLT degree with minimum of (Second Class Lower).
(10) Optometrist. Applicants must possess Doctor of Optometry (D. Optometry) degree and must be registered with the appropriate professional body.
Note: All applicants for Medical Corps, are expected to present proof of registration with their professional regulatory bodies and current practicing license.
c. Nigerian Army Finance Corps. Applicants must possess a minimum of BSc (Second Class Lower) degree
or HND (Lower Credit) in the following areas: Economics, Accounting, Banking and Finance, Business and Accounts and Computer Science. Membership of any of the following Professional Accountancy organizations is required: ICAN, ANAN, CIMA and ACCA.
d. Nigerian Army Band Corps. Applicants must possess a minimum of BA (Second Class Lower) degree or HND (Lower Credit) in Music.
e. Directorate of Chaplain Services (Protestant). Applicants must possess minimum of BA (Second Class Lower) degree in Pastoral Psychology, New Testament Theology, Old Testament Theology, Pastoral Counseling and Child Evangelism from any of the Seminaries/Universities recognized by the NA Directorate of Chaplain Services (Protestant). Applicants must belong to one of the 18 major denominations of the protestant faith. Soldier applicants must have served the NA with a minimum of 5 years experience in Chaplaincy work.
f. Directorate of Chaplain Services (Roman Catholic). Applicants must possess a minimum of Bachelor (Second Class Lower) degree in any of the following areas: Philosophy and Theology from a Roman Catholic approved seminary, affiliated to a National Universities Commission accredited University or Urbanian University, Rome. Applicants must have good standing in the church and be also released by a Diocesan Bishop. Applicants must be vetted and recommended by the NA Directorate of Chaplain Services (Roman Catholic).
g. Directorate of Islamic Affairs. Applicants must possess a minimum of BA, B Ed (Second Class Lower) degree in Arabic and Islamic Studies, LLB Sharia with Diploma in Arabic from recognized Nigerian universities, Azhar University, Cairo or Saudi University. Each applicant would be required to produce testimony of excellent character from a reputable religious organization in Nigeria. Applicants must be able to speak English Language.
h. Directorate of Legal Services (Army). Applicants must possess LLB BL from a recognized institution. A minimum of 2 years post Law School legal practice is required and applicants must present evidence of this.
3. An applicant must fulfill the following:
a. Be a Nigerian as defined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
b. Be male or female between the ages of 22 and 35 years for both serving personnel and civilians.
c. Be medically and physically fit.
d. Measure not less than 1.68m (for male) and 1.65m (for female) in height.
e. Must not have been convicted by any court of law.
f. Possess a minimum of first degree of not less than Second Class Lower Division from a recognized University or HND from a recognized Polytechnic of not less than Lower Credit.
g. Applicants (less serving members of the Armed Forces) must have completed the NYSC Scheme or provide proof of exemption as the case may be.
h. Graduates with registrable professional qualifications must be duly registered by relevant bodies recognized by Nigerian Laws at the commencement of cadet training.
i. Possess valid birth certificate endorsed by the National Population Commission, Hospital or Local Government Council or valid age declaration.
j. Possess a valid certificate of state of origin.
k. Recommended by at least 2 recognizable referees who must attest to the applicant’s character and integrity. Serving military personnel must be recommended by their commanders. Civilians could be recommended by a Local Government Chairman/Secretary or an officer of the Armed Forces not below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent or an Assistant Commissioner of Police and above who must hail from the state of the applicant.
l. Candidates must submit a letter of Attestation from their former institutions.
m. Only academic credentials obtained from 2004 to date will be accepted.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
4. Direct Short Service Commission will be granted for 10 years, for an initial probation period of 3 years, renewable yearly for another period of 7 years. Direct Regular Commission may be granted on conversion after 3 years as a commissioned officer.
5. All selected candidates will be required to undergo an initial military training.
6. Officer cadets who successfully complete the military training shall be granted the rank of Lieutenant with no advantage of seniority except for fully registered Medical Doctors, Lawyers and holders of doctorate degree in fields relevant to individual Service who will be commissioned in the same rank but with 3 months seniority.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
7. The following will apply:
a. Applications are to be made online.
b. To apply:
(1) Obtain a PayChoice PIN Code from any branch of First Bank nationwide upon the payment of N2,500.00 Application Fee to the designated cashier with effect from 14 May 2014.
(2) Logon to www.nigerianarmyms.org
(3) Click on ‘Online Application’
(4) Enter basic details as requested alongside the PIN Code.
(5) Select ‘Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC)’
(6) Click ‘Register Now’ to validate your PIN
(7) On successful validation, you will be redirected to the login page
(8) Login with your Username and Password to begin filling the forms, upload documents and passport.
c. Print Out. Applicants are to complete the form online and upload all required
documents stated in the general instructions. Applicants must print out their online
generated photo-card on completion of their application. Successful applicants are
required to present their printed photo-cards to the selection board during the interview.
8. All applications must be submitted not later than 24 June 2014.
9. For further information, you may call 07018447913, 08054815787, 07046349788 between 0900hrs and 1700 hrs from Monday to Friday. You may also visit www.nigerianarmyms.org
For technical support and complaints, call the following support lines 07018447913, 08054815787, 07046349788 or email email@example.com
Department of Military Secretary