The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) in collaboration with NIMR Foundation will be hosting it’s biannual Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme, aimed at building an adequate and sustainable network of committed early career researchers with inter-disciplinary and multi-institutional collaborative approach and proficiency in developing high quality, competitive grant writing and capacity for healthcare research and development in Nigeria.
WHAT THE PROGRAMME WILL COVER:
- Understanding of health services research methods
- Formulation of research questions and hypotheses
- Selection of appropriate statistical tools for data analysis
- Ethics and Ethics Permission in Research
- How to search and identify targeted funding agencies and understand funders’ requirements
- Writing compelling grant proposals
- Identification of the technicalities of the peer review process and demonstration using a practice peer review process
- Improving proficiency in training and communication skills including writing plain language summaries
- Training on proficiency in facilitation of micro-teaching session on mentorship.
- Principles of establishing and managing partnerships and collaborations.
FORMAT OF PROGRAMME
Location and Dates: This will be a 21-day residential workshop which will be held at the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research located at 6 Edmund Crescent Yaba, Lagos. The expected dates for the training are between 9th October 2022 and 30th October 2022.
Target audience: The training targets early and mid-career researchers who would like to develop their potential for Grantsmanship and Mentorship
Participants number: A total of 30 participants will be selected for the training.
Curriculum: The workshop will be guided by the National Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme Curriculum developed by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research for the sessions. For the 21-day period, the successful candidates will be tutored through hands on practical sessions on successful grants proposal writing. The teaching sessions will adopt blended learning approach with pre-course online self-directed reading and onsite teaching and learning methods including didactic lectures, role-plays, group discussions, micro-teaching sessions, online learning/webinars, peer-review simulation sessions, independent study time, home-work and term papers. Each training day will comprise of teaching sessions in the morning, practical sessions in the afternoon and group work and networking sessions in the late afternoon/ evening.
Faculty: The grantsmanship and mentorship training programme will be facilitated by prominent researchers who are well published, have experience serving or managing grant review panels and won grants from local and international funding organizations.
Fees: The 21-day residential training workshop including transportation, accommodation and full board will be fully sponsored by NIMR Foundation.
To be eligible, you need to provide evidence that:
- You are a citizen of a Nigeria (from any of the six-geopolitical zones).
- You are an early career investigator (junior and mid-level researcher) and you have completed your research education (either of below):
- You have been awarded a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) from a recognized academic institution normally within the past 6 years
- You have a medical/clinical qualification PLUS research-relevant Master’s degree, both awarded normally within the previous 6 years
- You are currently employed in Nigeria by a recognized university or research institution to develop and conduct any type of health care research.
- You have limited or no experience in proposal development and grant-writing.
- You have not won any significant local or international research grants.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this training opportunity.
To apply to participate in the grantsmanship and mentorship programme, kindly follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the online application at https://tinyurl.com/GTMP2022
- Provide the required documents including a single PDF file containing the following:
- Short motivation essay of not more than 500 words
- One page research proposal
- Short bio sketch (maximum 2 pages)
- A letter of recommendation/support from the Provost/Dean of college/Faculty
Application has commenced and the deadline is Sunday 11th September, 2022 11:59PM WAT.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!