The United States government launched the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) to train the next generation of African leaders who will shape the future of African business and entrepreneurship, civil society leadership, and public sector management.
Requirements for Eligibility
The YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa competition is merit-based, and it is open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
his track is designed for emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who want to take on leadership roles in the private sector or start their own businesses on the continent.
Civil Society Management
This track is for people who are or want to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organisations, community-based organisations, or volunteerism.
Management and Public Policy
This track is designed for people who work or want to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organisations like the African Union or the West African Community, international organisations like the United Nations, or other public-spirited organisations or think tanks.
Participants will receive certificates at the end of the programme and will become members of the YALI Alumni.
Participants will receive various types of leadership training to prepare them for roles as leaders in their various endeavours.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI West Africa Emerging Leaders Program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Accra (if required)
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Accra, Ghana
- Transportation to/from Kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra, for all non-Ghanaian participants
- For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra will be provided for from your location of residence
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan during the course
- Housing and meals
* The Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Ghana if you are residing within one of the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra. If you reside outside of the defined region, YALI will only pay the cost of transportation to/from Accra from your country of citizenship and you will be required to cover any additional costs
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, kindly follow the link below to apply
Application Deadline: December 11, 2022