Obtaining a Tax Identification Number (T.I.N.) is a mandatory requirement from all eligible tax payers in Nigeria, it is a unique number issued by the tax authorities to individuals and organizations in order to be identified as registered taxpayer.
It is a 14 digit sequential number generated electronically as part of the tax registration process and assigned to all taxpayers; company, enterprise or individual for identification. It is free and can be obtained from any Tax office closest to you.
To register and obtain your TIN number is easy and you can get started online or visit the nearest Joint Tax Board (JTB) office to get it offline.
There are two ways to obtain Tax Identification Number which is either through the online portal or visit the nearest office and we will cover both online and offline methods in this article, ensure you read till the end.
How To Get TIN Number Online (Individuals)
Simply log on to: tin.jtb.gov.ng and provide the following:
- Bank Verification Number
- Date of Birth
- First Name
- Last Name (Surname)
After submitting your application online, you will likely get approval within 48 hours
Related Post: From Idea to Reality: How To Start Your Own Company
TIN Registration for Organizations/Companies/SMEs
To get TIN for businesses, simply log on to: tin.jtb.gov.ng and provide the following:
- Organization Type: (Sole Proprietorship, Partnership etc)
- Registration Number: Usually 7 digits
- Registered Name: Your Business name
Note: You will be redirected to the next page where you will upload the required documents and other details
Offline Registration Process
To register and get your TIN offline, simply visit the nearest First Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) Office and provide the following:
- Utility Bill (Electricity bill, water bill etc)
- Valid ID (Driver’s license, Intl Passport etc.)
- Passport Photograph
- Completely filled Application form with signature and required documents
For Businesses Registered with CAC but not Incorporated:
- Completely Filled TIN Application Form
- Application Letter
- Business name registration certificate
- Means of Identification: (Driver’s License, Int’l Passpt etc.)
- Utility bill
For Companies Incorporated with CAC:
- Completed TIN Application Form
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Details about Company Directors
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Share Capital Statement
- Utility Bill
Recommended for you: B2B Sales Lead Generation Tactics To Explore
Why you need Tax Identification Number:
- It helps you avoid double taxation
- It is a legal requirement from all eligible taxpayers
- It identifies you as a taxpayer
- You need it to apply for business loans
- It is required if you need import, export and trade license
- It is required when applying for certain govt services
- You will present it when filing for returns
- All registered businesses must have TIN in order to open corporate account
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, it is mandatory for all eligible taxpayers
Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and Joint Tax Board (JTB)
It is a criminal offence, you can be imprisoned or fined
It is totally free
11 thoughts on “How to Get a Tax Identification Number TIN in Nigeria Online/Offline”
THANKS FOR THE INFO
I obtain a Tin number for JTB Asokoro Office but could not used it to make remittances for WHT. What could be the problem?
i registered at Alimosho and my tin number was sent but not with firs letter head. i need it resent with letter head of firs. kindly get anyone from Alimosho tax office that can help
How many digital is the TIN?
If you are a registered taxpayer in Nigeria, your Tax identification number (TIN) is a ten (10) digit number. This number is unique to individual taxpayers.
I hope this helps.
Hi Utibe, This article is short but very useful. However, I’m also looking for the format of TIN in Nigeria – at the beginning of the article you said it’s a 14-digit number, but in this comment you said it’s 10. Also, does it consis only from numbers, or numbers and letters? I’d appreciate any help I can get. thank you in advance! 🙂
You can visit any office of Federal Inland Revenue Services closer to you to obtain your TIN.
I want to apply for tin numbrr
Kindly visit any Federal Inland Revenue Services office closest to your business location.
Is TIN free?
Yes, TIN is free. You don’t have to pay to get your tax identification number (TIN).